Here are some things that are aimed at a more general, non-specialist audience. These are a bit more accessible than my published papers, and don’t require any prior knowledge of philosophy or psychology.
- Sometimes, paying attention means we see the world less clearly. Aeon/Psyche. This is about the way that attention can distort out conscious experience of the world, and what this means for our knowledge of the world.
- What is the relationship between your conscious mind, and yourself? Accessible summary of one of my recent articles on the relation between subjects and their conscious experiences.
- Visual illusion that may help explain consciousness: new study. The Conversation. This is about a new visual illusion that Bilge Sayim and I discovered, and which may help us understand peripheral vision.
- Blindsight: a strange neurological condition that could help explain consciousness. The Conversation. This is about blindsight and the problem of consciousness. This article was traslated into Arabic. The translation is available here.
- What is a species? The most important concept in all of biology is a complete mystery. The Conversation. This is about the species problem in biology. The biologist and blogger Jerry Coyne wrote an aggressive response to this article. A reply to his criticisms (as well as a link to his response) is available here.
- I have been interviewed here, by Mike Livemore about my work. We talk about attention, perception, species, scientific concepts, and Jaffa Cakes. This podcast is aimed at a general academic audience, so it’s a little less accessible than some of the other stuff on this page.
- I have interviewed Dr Nikk Effingham for a podcast on time travel.
- In January 2021, i was interviewed by The Voice of Islam, about the influence of Aristotle’s metaphysics on Islamic Philosophy. The recording is available here (starts at 1 hour, 7 minutes).
- I have also been interviewed by The Voice of Islam about the role of emotions in our moral judgements. The recording is available here (starts at 1 hour, 7 minutes).
- In December 2016, I gave a public lecture for the Royal Institute of Philosophy titled ‘what can zombies teach us about consciousness?’. The slides are available here.
- I have organised and run a Summer School in Durham to introduce A-level students to philosophy, and I have done some voluntary A-level philosophy teaching at Hills Road Sixth Form College.